Thursday, August 21, 2014

Cooking the Books: Tasty Express by Sneh Roy



You could say that I have a bit of a foodie crush on Sneh Roy. Much like her, her food is gorgeous, warm and inviting. I don't adore social media except for the opportunities it creates to cross paths with the likes of Sneh. We are twitter friends, if there is such a thing. And I believe I may have met  my match when it comes to obsessing over cookbooks and feeding people from the heart. 
After cooking from her book, Sneh is, as I had always suspected, a bloody genius. Cripes it's tasty. I've had a rough time on the home front of late and wanted simple, soul fortifying fresh and tasty food. Sneh delivered. So I suggest you allow her to do the same for you. But if I can't convince you - the roasted milo granola (yes I did just say milo granola) most certainly will.
Sneh Roy probably needs no introduction here. She is the food blogging force behind Cook Republic - easily one of the most prolific food blogs out there. She also writes for Elle magazine and her work generally seems to pop up all over the place. Normally I have stayed away from bloggers, focusing here on cookbooks from chefs but Sneh really holds her own and this is a book I feel needs to be celebrated. 
Sneh Roy Granola made then photographed by me before it was eaten in five seconds flat
Sneh's Roasted Milo and Choc Chip Granola
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup rice bubbles (I used puffed rice from the local healthfood store)
1/2 cup milo (plus the one or two teaspoons you know you'll eat while preparing it)
1/2 cup raw shelled peanuts (I used raw cashews because that's all I had)
1/4 cup maple syrup
40g butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used a mix of white, milk and 75% dark)

Preheat the oven to 180C.
Place all the ingredients except the chocolate chunks in a bowl and toss to combine. Place the mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and cool to just warm. Toss the chocolate through the mixture and cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to a week. Although it won't last that long I promise.
Epicentres of culinary good taste of course! As always I try to champion the local bookstore or the author direct here or Sneh also lists suppliers for you to go to. So helpful.

Failing that the usual online suppliers will bring the book to your door.
There is a substantial commitment to breakfast and supper. In other words - exactly my kind of book. And the fact that you are here reading I'd safely say its yours too. From smoothies to masala omelette jaffles (seriously spectacular) to the wholemeal japanese pancakes and kachumber pappadums - the list is long and glorious.
Because this is one of those books that you know you'll go back to again and again to cook from. Simple, tasty and different enough to keep you excited, super excited in fact. I tend to find the best cookbooks are those that are lustworthy - that you want to curl up on the couch with while sipping a fantastically oversized glass of red - or totally kitchen stained - go to kind that you leaf through again and again when dinner choices have you beaten. My copy is already stained with the toils of my dinner and the book wears my stains gloriously. Its a perfect gift for the keen cook and time poor alike. I highly recommend it.

1 comment: