Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The way porridge should be....


Porridge with espresso honey, pear and walnuts



Purists take their porridge with water, and the odd pinch of salt.  I’ve tasted it and happy to say that I left Clag glue behind in my younger school years with my macaroni necklace, and that these days I will happily eat the bastardised versions – those that add milk, seeds, nuts, fruit and of course a touch of something sweet. Honey though, or maple syrup. I balk slightly at the use of jam, so it seems I have sugar standards (at least at breakfast).  I’ve incorporated espresso into honey in this version – killing all breakfast birds with one stone so to speak. Eat your heart out goldilocks.  With a sweet, spiced caffeine kick, I think this is a true breakfast of champions. 

Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1 ½ cups boiling water
1 cup milk
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
pinch cinnamon
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped

Espresso honey
2 tbsp honey
30ml espresso

Buttered pears
30g butter
2 pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 tbsp caster sugar

Toasted walnuts to serve

Method
Place oats and boiling water in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Let oats sit for 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir again. Bring slowly to the boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and bring mixture to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and let the porridge stand, covered for 2-3 minutes before serving.
Meanwhile, combine the honey and espresso in another saucepan and place over low heat. Stir to soften the honey and until just combined.
For the pears, place butter in a fry pan and melt over medium heat. Add the pears, and sprinkle with sugar. Cook gently until the pears are pale golden. Turn over gently to prevent them braking and cook until golden on the other side.
To serve, spoon porridge into bowls, top with buttered pears, espresso honey, toasted walnuts and extra warm milk on the side.

1 comment:

  1. I love this Katrina. Although I consider myself a 'reasonable' cook I simply cannot master porridge. This might be one for me to try!

    ReplyDelete